Patients in Columbus question, “Is dental implant treatment worth it?”Posted by Dr. Joseph Narde
The loss of permanent teeth isn’t just an aesthetic problem. Missing teeth impact your ability to bite, chew, and speak properly. Furthermore, many people are embarrassed by their smile, causing a loss in confidence and self-esteem. At Willow Point Dental, we believe that dental implants are the gold standard of tooth replacement. When the procedure is performed by trained professionals like our team, patients can be confident that they have a long term solution that looks natural, and feels and functions as close to biological teeth as possible.
What is dental implant treatment?Dental implants differ from other tooth replacement options because they integrate into the jawbone. Traditional dentures sit on top of the gums and are kept in place with suction or adhesive and dental bridges are anchored by crowns on top of natural teeth. When a dental implant is placed into the bone, it acts as a replacement for the tooth root. Over time, the bone will fuse around the implant which is what make the dental implant such a stable solution.
Once the implant is in place, the restoration can be completed with either a dental crown, bridge, or denture. When patients choose implants, these dental prosthetics will attach to the implant so there is no worry about them falling out or moving around.
Why dental implants are truly worth itWhen it comes to missing teeth, one of the biggest concerns long term is the loss of bone. In the absence of a tooth root, bone degeneration will occur, which causes remaining teeth to shift out of place and can also lead to a sunken facial profile, making individuals look much older than they are. If you have ever seen someone take out their dentures, then you understand how the absence of teeth can impact the profile.
Because dental implants integrate into the jawbone, they mimic the role of a tooth root and stabilize the jawbone to help prevent degeneration. With healthy at home oral care and professional dental visits, patients can enjoy their dental implants for decades to come.
- They can withstand the natural force of biting and chewing. Many patients with traditional dentures must worry about what they eat, often avoiding hard or crunchy foods. Dental implants allow patients to enjoy a variety of different foods.
- They do not require repeated adjustments or replacement. Because traditional dentures sit on top of the gums and both the gum tissue and jawbone experience atrophy due to the lack of stimulation from a tooth root, they will need to be adjusted and replaced as the shape and size of the mouth changes. Dental implants are designed for permanent results.
- The procedure is straightforward. Dental implants are most often done as an outpatient procedure that has a relatively short recovery period.
Candidates for dental implantsThe good thing about dental implants is that many individuals can qualify as candidates. Patients must be in good overall health as well as oral health and need to have sufficient bone density. If a patient has lost significant density due to disease, he or she may be eligible for a graft prior to receiving implants.
At WillowPoint Dental, we understand the far-reaching impact of tooth loss. While we do offer traditional dentures and partials, we do urge our patients to consider dental implants due to their benefits, including stability and longevity. If you are in the Columbus area, and you would like to learn more about dental implants to see if they are right for you, please call our office today at (706) 685-6787 to schedule an appointment. We’re happy to meet with you to answer any questions you may have about the dental implant procedure.
- Dentist in Columbus, GA helps patients understand the process of dental implants services
- Patients in Columbus question, “Is dental implant treatment worth it?”
- Columbus, GA, dentist explains benefits of dental implants
- Specialized training goes into dental implants provided at Columbus, GA, dental practice
Back to Implants Page