Dr. Narde is skilled in effectively treating periodontal disease in Columbus, GAPosted by Dr. Joseph Narde
What is gum disease?Gum disease develops in stages. The most common is gingivitis, which can usually be treated with a combination of in-office professional cleaning and better at home brushing and flossing to eliminate bacteria and keep it from returning. However, if gingivitis is untreated, periodontitis will develop.
When a patient has periodontitis the gums begin to pull away from the teeth, creating pockets which then become infected. Once this occurs the only way to treat periodontal disease is with professional treatments:
- Deep cleaning: By removing tartar from above and below the gum line through a deep-cleaning method called scaling and root planning, Dr. Narde can eliminate plaque and bacteria from problem areas.
- Medications: From mouthwashes to prescription antibiotics, sometimes medication will be prescribed to eliminate the infection from the body.
- Surgery: If deep cleaning and medication do not eliminate the gum disease, surgery may be considered. It involves lifting the gums away from the teeth to remove tartar and then suturing them back into place. If the patient needs help re-growing lost bone and tissue, a bone or tissue graft may be used.
Receiving early and effective dental care is the key to properly treating gum disease. Call Willow Point Dental at (706) 685-6787 to schedule an appointment.
Dr. Joseph Narde in Columbus, GA, has been treating patients with periodontal disease for years and provides important education. Call (706) 685-6787
- Dr. Narde is skilled in effectively treating periodontal disease in Columbus, GA
- Columbus dentist recommends gum disease treatment for positive impact on oral health